Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Independence Day!

Summer.

The 4th of July sort of marks the middle of summer, which if you are a 'glass is half empty' kind of person like me that means summer is half over!  Okay, technically it just started a couple of weeks ago, but it always seems to go too fast. 

I like thinking ahead of time about what I will bring to share to our annual 4th of July party with friends.  Last year it was red, white and blue trifle, which was delicious.  This year however a couple of different things caught my eye.  Red, white and blue strawberries was the first idea to get my attention.  I knew as soon as I saw them that I had to make them.  Who doesn't like chocolate dipped strawberries?  White chocolate?  Even better!!  The morning of the party J went out to Whole Foods to find me some fresh dippable strawberries, white chocolate and sprinkles. 


Now because J went to Whole Foods he couldn't buy the flourescent blue sprinkles, which means no bright blue smiles from the kids.  Such a shame!!  These vegetable dyed sprinkles seemed better suited in terms of matching the traditional blue of the flag which was an added bonus.  I was glad to not have sprinkles filled with blue dye to share with our friends and their children.




Don't they look so pretty?  They were yummy too!

The other recipe I had to try was Red, White and Blue Sangria.  Yep, it had me at Sangria ;) This Sangria was a little different in that it had berry flavoured vodka and triple sec.  The Sauvignon Blanc in the recipe was the real reason J was at Whole Foods.  I have had good luck with their 365 brand wines so while he was buying wine for the sangria he bought the supplies for the chocolate dipped strawberries as well.  The recipe was quite simple, but boy did it pack a punch (no pun intended).  It was yummy, I had two glasses and that was enough for me!





We had a wonderful day spent with great friends, great food and lots of laughs!  I hope you had a fabulous 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment